Ondo Police Command has revealed that the cause of the fire outbreak at the Akure office of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) was due to faulty electrical connection.
Recall that fire had gutted the ICT section of the commission where 5141 units of card readers meant for the October 10 governorship election were burnt and destroyed.
Speaking to newsmen, Police Commissioner Salami Bolaji said talks of saboteurs causing the fire were untrue.
According to the Police boss, the Ondo Fire Service report on the incident had put to rest issues of saboteurs setting containers ablaze.
Salami said: “The result of an investigation into the incident is out. The fire was caused by faulty electrical connection and the smart card readers were burnt. They were kept in two containers on the premises of INEC and the air conditioners were kept on for 24 hours.
“This will put to rest speculations that the fire was caused by saboteurs. If there are other findings, we will let you know. For now, the major cause is faulty electrical connection.